Tuesday, September 7, 2010

White necked Jacobin Hummingbird

Watercolor painting © Beatrice Bork



   Whilst on the wing
    Hovering over sixty beats a second    
    I glance for food
    Taking both nectar and insects
    Even sugar solution sometimes

    Nimble and swift am I
    Eventually sitting for a moment
    Checking out my surroundings
    Keen to defend my territory
    Even against my own kind
    Diving and displaying my immaculate feathers

    Justly, I am a site to behold
    Attracting most of the attention
    Certainly, the birders grasp at my magnificence
    Once this beautiful island was named after us
    By their fore fathers
    It was called “Iere”, Land of the  Hummingbirds
    Nowadays it is known as Trinidad, and we are still being revered 


     © Denise Etienne


 This is a sneak preview of our collaborative effort on our book which features the Birds of Trinidad and Tobago, as well as poetry.


No comments:

Post a Comment